24 April 2023
Power transformers, made of thin silicon steel sheets, are a type of transformer that changes the magnitude of electrical energy without altering its frequency or type. In other words, they do not change the frequency of the applied voltage but only alter its voltage level. This allows electrical energy to be transported to the desired location.
Types of Power Transformers
There are different types of power transformers available depending on the voltage class to be used. These types of power transformers include:
- Low-Voltage Transformers
- Rated power up to 16 KVA.
- Used in networks with a capacity of 50 Hz to 1000 V.
- Typically used as a voltage source in products such as flashlights, automatic doors, and toys.
- Medium-Voltage Transformers
- Among the most commonly used power transformers.
- Used in distribution lines.
- Maintains power constant and facilitates the transformation of electrical energy through electromagnetic induction.
- High-Voltage Transformers
- Used to reduce the voltage in the connected circuit to the desired level.
- Secondary outputs can work like low circuits.
- Very High-Voltage Transformers
- Used when high-voltage transformers are insufficient.
- High-voltage transformers are functional in the range of 34.5-154 kV, while very high-voltage transformers are used when voltages of 154 kV and higher are required.
Features of Power Transformers
The general features of power transformers, which are the most commonly used transformers, are as follows:
- They can be cooled by both oil and air and are filled with transformer oil.
- Regular oil changes and transformer maintenance are required.
- Special vehicles and equipment are needed for transportation due to their weight.
- Used in dams or areas with a capacity of 200 MVA or higher.
- Ensures power remains constant during operation.
- Can increase the energy produced in power plants.
The Importance of Power Transformers
The transmission of electrical energy, whether produced as alternating current (AC) or direct current (DC), is becoming increasingly important in high-voltage transmission. The significance of electrical energy in AC is due to its ability to maintain the frequency and power constant without alteration.
Energy transmission can occur at the desired location, frequency, and magnitude, making it possible to distribute electricity reliably, especially in power grids.
Trans-El ensures high-quality electrical transmission with transformer shipments that comply with international standards.
- High Voltage Transformer Repair, Maintenance, and Restoration
- The Importance of Transformer Repair, Maintenance, and Service
- Transformer (Trafo)
- Power Transformer
- Tip Test and Temperature Rise Test
- Tip Test and Measuring Audible Noise Level
- Special Tests
- Induced Voltage Test for Transformers
- Short-Circuit Test